Another year older, and you're showing it!

In 1788, Robert Burns--no, not my brother-in-law, the other "old guy"--borrowed a Scottish phrase and drafted a poem, which he eventually set to music. The phrase Burns utilized was "auld lang syne," which can be translated, "old long since", or more idiomatically, "long long ago" or "days gone by." It has even been used to replace the famous "once upon a time." Though it has never been used, to my knowledge at least, to replace the phrase "and it came to pass."

Guy Lombardo made the song a familiar tune for New Year's Eve in 1929, and since that day many have adapted and adjusted the tune for their own Christmas albums. I am particularly fond of James Taylor's rendition, which I have include below.

Should old acquaintance be forgot,

and never brought to mind?

Should old acquaintance be forgot,

and days of auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne,
for auld lang syne!
Should old acquaintance be forgot,

and days of auld lang syne?

We two have run about the hills,

and gathered up flowers fine;

we’ve wandered many a weary foot,

since auld lang syne.

We two have sported in the brook,

from morning sun till dine;

but the seas between us have roared and swelled

since auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne,
for auld lang syne!
The seas between us have roared and swelled
since auld lang syne?

So, here is a hand my trusted friend!

And give me a hand o’ thine!

We’ll take a cup of kindness yet,

for auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne!
We’ll take a cup of kindness yet,

for auld lang syne!

I would hazard to guess that most people have never really read the words to the song. I know I never did. For 41 years I've heard the song and never really listened to it. What a tragedy, to have been missing out on the sentimentality of the verse for so long.

Well, this year, I finally listened.

I also watched "It's a Wonderful Life." I've "seen" it on a hundred times every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's been played between showings of Miracle on 34th Street, and 24 hour marathons along with A Christmas Story, I've even seen it colorized!

But, this year, I finally watched it, and, I'm not too embarrassed to say, cried.

Well, this December also saw two other milestones:

1) I completed my 20th year at work, and can technically retire, if I was so inclined--which I am not seeing how the economy has taken a crash.

Besides that Evie and I just started going over our taxes for 2008 and tabulated our medical expenses, co-payments, prescriptions, eye glasses, etc.

Plus I will have two kids driving this year, and as I don't have Alzheimer's and can't act crazy without people questioning me, I will be sticking it out for quite some time to come. However, I will retire if the second coming arrives early--I actually pray it will arrive prior to having to experience autistic puberty--since my plan for the second coming is to grow hay, and tomatoes. But more on that topic later.

2) This Christmas also marks the 20th anniversary of being rejected by Evie for the very first time, well the first time I asked her to marry me at least. It actually is the second time, out of a total of 4 times, I was rejected by her, having been told to get lost once before back in 1986, and two more times in 1989, but whose keeping track? If you want the skinny on the story be sure to ask me, and not her. Her memory has been fading over the years and she has trouble with the facts . . . :)

So why all this sentimental diatribe?

Well, what really got me thinking, was all the Christmas card family photos that arrived in our mailbox. And I must say, man are you guys getting older or what!?! Obviously you haven't learned the most important life lesson of all, as you get older, stay away from the camera! It actually helps, trust me.

Notice you don't see a picture of me or Evie on this blog, and you certainly haven't seen me in a Christmas Card photo have you? Hello, I'm getting older, I've learned to escape and evade the camera. If you can't do that then learn some computer skills, like how to doctor a photo!

No, actually, I am not that vain. To prove it, I'll post a recent picture of me in my reading glasses to show you once and for all that I am getting older, need glasses--at least to read--and can still look good!

Well, better let you go, enjoy the new year, and will post again soon!

Jeff

Comments

  1. who'd ever though YOU woud be one to keep track? :) FOUR times ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny!
    I completely enjoyed the post, and even just the fact that you FINALLY posted again!
    Love the photo from one of my favorite movies.
    And hey! Not all of us need to stay away from the camera!!! :)

    Have you heard from Evie's cousin Kristi? We met at the Nauvoo Pageant last summer, discovered we shared a great friend, and our families both shared Thanksgiving with that mutual friend's family in Bloomington, Illinois, where we discovered that we were also connected through you guys!
    Did that make sense?

    I think you need to plan a family trip to Nauvoo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts