Ethanisms - Part Deux

Awhile back I posted some thoughts on a few "Ethanisms" as I called them; at the time the Ethanisms were considered cute, quirky, and funny.  In fact sometimes those Ethanisms were beyond humorous, like when he prayed for MoKo and asked Heavenly Father to bless her with a "date."

Since that day two years ago those little phrases, comments, expressions, and idioms he comes up with have turned somewhat less cute, though we still are able to see the humor, though maybe not immediately as you'll see.

Here are some of his more impressive Isms.
  • Just before dinner Ethan became unhappy with Evie because she made him get off the computer to join us for dinner. While eating at the table I look over and see that Ethan is eating awkwardly with his mouth wide open, while making a strange face. His teeth are almost gritting as they come together at the end of a chew, and his eyes are strangely bugged out, while his nose is pursed. I ask if he is okay, since he never eats with his mouth open. Without breaking stride in the face he is making or the manner in which he is chewing, he says, "I'm making ugly face at mom while I chew."
  • Ethan was sitting on the floor next to our bed looking at his new copy of The Mysterious Island. Emma walked in and began talking to him when suddenly he replied, "English please! Your voice is really annoying." Apparently that line is from Hotel Transylvania. Who knew?
  • Right before we said family prayer, Ethan announced:
Dad, I was dreaming about my partner.
       Oh, who's your partner?
SpongeBob Squarepants, we're old college buddies.
  • Ethan was again having a difficult day with Evie, when I asked him why he was so angry. He told me he was mad at Mom and then added, "Break her heart in half. Crush her soul like a grape." Any guess on the source of that wretched line? It's actually a combination of a question and answer exchange between two characters. Any idea? You guessed it, Tangled.
Here is the whole, official, exchange -
Flynn Rider: Now, I'm only picking up bits and pieces here, of course. Overprotective mother, forbidden road trip. I mean, this is serious stuff. But let me ease your conscience. This is part of growing up. A little rebellion, a little adventure, that's good. Healthy, even.

Rapunzel: [chuckles] You think?
Flynn Rider: I know. You're way over thinking this, trust me. Does your mother deserve it? No. Would this break her heart and crush her soul? Of course. But you've just got to do it.
Rapunzel: "Break her heart"?
Flynn Rider: [plucks grape off vine] In half.
Rapunzel: "Crush her soul"?
Flynn Rider: [squeezes grape] Like a grape.
  • We have still been experiencing the E-Ticket rides of cutting remarks when Ethan is interrupted, or we are unable to slowly wean him off of the computer when its time, or if we need to rush him to get his shoes on so we can leave the house, etc. This past week as we have experienced these sudden jolts in life's roller coaster, Ethan has been quite sharp with his comments. What is even funnier (seriously you just have to laugh, because crying would dehydrate you too quickly, and only give you a headache) is that he might start out being mad at me, then when Evie cuts in to tag me out so I can go mend my wounds, he starts off nice with her then suddenly turns on her, and next thing you know he and I are best friends. This situation also works in the completely opposite direction when I cut in to tag Evie out so she can go mend her wounds. Either way, I don't know where he got this line, he hasn't told us, but it seems to be this weeks go-to-line, or line-of-the-day.
The exchanges go something like this.
Dad, help! Mom did this to me!
        What did mom do?
She killed me.
       You look okay.
She's not a good mom, you're a smart dad. I wish I had a stepmother!
       (YIKES - did he just go there? Yes he did! I wonder if Evie heard that?)
                What did he say?
       Um, he's just being ugly.
I wish Annie was my step mom...
           Ouch! That hurt...
A few days later, we had another experience. This time the roles were reversed.
I wish I had a step dad.
          I love you, Ethan.
I love you too. I wish Uncle Brian was my step dad!
          Okay, let me know when you're done being ugly.
         I'm done, you S - H - I -...
Each of these little episode ended in a meltdown, with some deep pressure wrestling and hugging to burn of the pent up frustration. In the end, a few tears were shed by all, and hugs exchanged, and everybody went to bed happy-ish 

  • On November 16, the whole family participated in the Phoenix Temple Dedication. It was our privilege to be personally invited by President Uchtdorf to join him and his wife in the Celestial Room for the third dedicatory session. Joining us in the temple for the dedication were Evie's parents (her father was the Uchtdorf's Bishop when their family lived in Glendale in 1975-1978), as well as Evie's brother and his wife. Following the session the entire family, meaning all those who were in the dedicatory session, their children, our own children, and my wife's other nieces and nephews who were in town, had a chance to gather for photographs with the Uchtdorf's and spend about 30 minutes visiting. It was a wonderful experience!

During the visit, Ethan received a hug from President Uchtdorf then said, "When I was 4-years old, and a baby, I didn't know you like my mom did." President Uchtdorf smiled, and Ethan added, "Will I see you again later?" This drew a second hug. A few other introductions took place and President Uchtdorf returned for one last hug from Ethan. The following week, for Family Home Evening, we sat down to write Thank You notes to the Uchtdorf's. Ethan was not too keen on having to interrupt his Lego time for FHE, but was willing to write a thank you note, which he did all by himself.



We haven't sent the Thank You note yet. We are at a deadlock deciding if we should or not. I say yes, but she's adamantly opposed.

What do you think?
[    ] Send
[    ] Don't send

Comments

Popular Posts