Gary - a guest post

Back in the olden days when I was a 3rd grader (nearly 45 years ago), I was asked by my 3rd grade teacher to help a classmate during our lunch recess time. This was my first experience with someone who struggled with academics. As I recall, everything went well until one day I made him cry. To this day, I don't know what I did, but I have remembered that moment to this day. I know that experience made me a better teacher today. I often think of "Gary" when I am struggling with a student with special needs who is just "not getting it" and becoming more and more frustrated. "Gary" has always helped me take a step back and try a different approach. Wherever "Gary" is today and whatever he is doing, I hope that he is and has been successful. I have had many "Garys" through my 20+ years of teaching who have taught me more than I could ever teach them. What a privilege it has been to know each and every one of my special students!

Kay

Comments

Popular Posts