One Step Closer...

Just a few weeks ago I was contacted by Ethan's young men leaders who wanted to run an idea past me. For quite some time we had been discussing ways to include Ethan into the midweek church activities. These same leaders were already doing a great job including him on Sunday, and this had some carryover for the midweek activities, but keeping him involved during the week was more difficult, though they had experienced success several times; we were looking for ways to improve.

Then, during the Church's worldwide conference, came this counsel...
When the Savior taught, the learner’s agency was paramount. He showed us not only what to teach but also how to teach. He focused on the needs of the learner...
In considering how best to meet Ethan's needs, it came to them...

They invited Ethan to teach the class and show them how to make...

...sticky tape.
(If you are not familiar with "sticky tape," it is Ethan's own creation. Simply put, it is the adhesive pulled off the Mylar-like backing of duct tape, which is then separated from the fiber threads that criss-cross within it. This adhesive, as it is collected and grows in mass, has the texture and appearance of a rubbery, moldable clay, and Ethan uses it as such. He has molded it into everything imaginable. The sticky tape, as he calls it, starts out a light grey, almost white color, but after excessive handling turns a dark gray from the oil in his skin - on a side note I'll just add that it also stinks horribly when it gets to be that color!  It is truly a tedious process which he has turned into an art form.
It was a masterful idea - if you don't include the fact that all but Ethan developed cramps in their fingers trying to make it!

First they bought duct tape - three rolls of silver, and two of red (Ethan's favorite) - gathered to the class room, had an opening prayer, then turned the time over to Ethan to show them the way. 

It was a major success! And all because...



...Three men helped...


Two of Ethan's balls of sticky tape can be seen on the table,
they are the dark grey balls next to the red rolls of tape.


...Two boys grow...


He carries his sticky tape in the front of his shirt, and his collar is stretched out
because he reaches down from the top to retrieve the sticky tape so he doesn't
have to untuck his clothes to get to it.


Comments

  1. Thank you for all you in writing this blog. I found came across it probably 6 months ago or so from Emz running blog. I have a 12 year old son with multiple disabilites. Although the diagnosis of our boys are different, we are still walking the same uncharted territory as most of those around us. I look forward to whenever you blog, I love that I cry and I smile and I can even nod my head in agreement a time or two. It truly can be a hard lot to carry to care for these boys, but Caleb is one of my greatest blessings, he is my heart. You truly have amazing YM leaders in your ward, I love to see that. We are at a point where we don't know what to do with Caleb, the ward is relying on me as how to proceed, but as I said I am in uncharted waters and don't know what to do myself. Caleb is non-verbal and basically doesn't understand what is being taught anyway. My husband is the EQ president so Caleb goes with me to RS, and let me tell you it is quite a scene every sunday trying to get him in there, when he would rather go home. I didn't mean for this to turn into a novel, but I really appreciate you and how you love your boy, and how you share your lives with us. It gives me hope, and on hard days, makes me not feel like I am traveling this path alone.
    Thanks for all you do,
    Mandy Kirk

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts